Ledyard was incorporated as a town in 1836 and took the name of Colonel William Ledyard, a local revolutionary war hero who was the commander of Colonial forces that defended Fort Griswold in 1781 at the Battle of Groton Heights. For more Ledyard history, go to History of Ledyard webpage.
The Town of Ledyard operates under a Charter adopted in 1971, which was most recently revised in 2009. The town operates under a strong Mayor and Town Council form of government with a 9-member Town Council and the Mayor acting as Chief Executive Officer. Both the Mayor and the Town Councilors are elected at large. The Charter is available at Ledyard Town Charter.